Sunday, December 22, 2013

Discover your "Big Why"

Whenever I'm having a rough day, I ask myself "why do I do this?"
Being a Realtor isn't always exciting- there are a lot of late nights, weekends and impromptu meetings- so at times I need to reflect on why I do what I do.

My broker office recommends discovering your "Big Why." This can really pertain to any profession or goal you have. Think about why you do what you do- what makes you wake up in the morning and go to work?
A personal example is; I want to have control of my schedule to visit my immediate family that live far away.

I started my real estate journey in 2006 with my first "real" job after college. I worked at a title insurance company handling settlements and sensitive documents. I didn't particularly like the job, mostly because there was not a definite starting and ending time and I like to have some sort of schedule. But there was some positive-I learned so much about the transfer of real estate and started to grow out of my shy shell.
I then transitioned to new construction home sales. My office was a model home and I got to help so many people obtain their dream home. I really enjoyed it, but to be honest I hated sitting 8 hours in the living room decorated office anticipating clients to come in.
In 2010 I lost that job due to builder bankruptcy and restructuring. I was young & scared which actually resulted in the ideal time (mentally) to transition into the residential real estate market. I was eager to learn, grow and genuinely help people purchase ANY home out there- not just the new construction community I previously sold.
The last 3 years have been a roller coaster. Starting a new career in an unstable industry is not easy, but it's been a good ride.

Early on I had to determine my BIG WHY to keep me motivated. It's important to have a clear vision of your goal and dreams so you can achieve them. 

Here are a few questions to ask yourself to discover your Why:
- Why did I go into business to begin with?
- Why do I want to grow the business and increase my personal income?
- Why do I want to improve my health?
- Why is all this so important to me?





No comments:

Post a Comment