Sunday, July 21, 2013

My parents home

I help people buy, sell and rent homes all the time. It's my job. But to be honest, sometimes I forget how many emotions go into a home transition. This past week I had a very personal real estate experience that reminded me that moving brings many different emotions- Scared, stressed, relief, anxiety, and excitement- whether you lived there for a year or 15 years.

I had the honor to list and sell my parents home this Spring.  In 1999, I came house hunting with my mom a few different times and was there the day they selected the model they wanted (I believe I had an influence in that decision too :) ) and signed the contract. Fourteen years later, my parents are transitioning with careers and life, so it was the ideal time to sell.

I didn't live in the home for the entire time they had it, not even really that much if you consider only summers for my college years. But it was still home. It was the only home that we lived in for over 10 years so that constitutes MANY memories with friends and family. Even my siblings that never lived there considered it home and are a little saddened by the sale.

I always tell my clients when they are moving that you need to look at the fun and exciting things that will happen in your new space. Remember that memories don't go away, just the property.


I'm excited for my parents and their new adventures. And I know they are too!

No comments:

Post a Comment